About the Masters Squad
We have a thriving masters squad at Bristol Penguins which is overseen by our masters coach, John Ferguson. We train for 46 weeks of the year, with a four week break in August and two weeks at Christmas. In the summer we also do some open water swimming at Cromhall – normally Sunday mornings
All five sessions are coached, and we usually cover a distance of 2-3km in a session (sometimes this is high-intensity, sometimes distance work, and sometimes drill/technique work). Our masters swimmers are both competitive and non-competitive. Masters swimmers can choose to swim from two to five times per week.
The Penguin masters train at Easton Leisure Centre (BS5 0SW) and the current schedule is:
Tuesday 6:15 to 7:30am
Thursday 6:15 to 7:30am
Thursday 8:40 to 9:30pm
Friday 8:30 to 9:30pm
Sunday 8 to 9.00pm
There is an annual membership fee of £30 per year, which includes ASA registration etc.
We offer four types of membership, with fees as follows:
- Plus: £46.50 per month. Access to all five sessions.
- Standard: £36 per month. Access to three sessions per week.
- Lite: £30 per month. Access to two sessions per week.
- Student: £88 per year, entitling you to train all five sessions per week during the university holidays.
Not sure whether the Penguins Masters are right for you? There are other options in the Bristol area:
- Bristol Masters train twice per week at the University Pool
- There are several triathlon clubs in the area. They tend to focus on training for long-distance, open-water swims.
- Public lane sessions at Hengrove are cheap, frequent and usually have enough space to train properly. It’s a favoured destination for Penguins swimmers keen to get a session or two in during our breaks in training.
- Penguins coach JP runs adult swimming lessons at Clifton College. These are small group sessions focusing on technique and fitness. Contact Adam Richards for more information
How to Join
If you would like to join our masters squad or would like to find out more, email Dave Conlin